France is not just about Paris. Period! When we talk about France, we need to talk about things beyond the Eiffel Tower. The beautiful country is synonymous with style, art, music, history and a lot more. We are just back after a 10 day trip to the South of France and we cannot wait to share the details of our trip in our upcoming posts. Meanwhile, we thought we should do this post just so that we are able to throw some light on French cuisine. The French live to eat and we can firmly state that food is their religion. They take their food very very seriously. French food is synonymous with fine eating and it is a jubilant medley of richness and diversity. What we love the most about our travels is that we get to enjoy the unique and memorable gastronomic experiences every region/place has to offer. So while we did some research on what to do during our holiday in the French Rivera, Socca de Nice was certainly on the itinerary. Undoubtedly ,Nice is a haven for gourmets.
What is Socca / All about Socca de Nice
Its a popular local food in France and is very well known to the local inhabitants of Nice. When you ask any local what to eat in Nice, be sure to hear about Socca. It is a savoury which comes in the form of a flatbread (similar to a crepe consistency) and is made of chickpea flour. It is not a very complicated dish to make so do give it a try at home. We suggest this French Socca Recipe .
Socca de Nice is a must while in France because its wholesome, healthy and delicious. Its best had straight out of the Socca pan when its warm and flavourful. We really liked the nutty flavour of the Socca and did not feel guilty while binging on it even though it had generous amounts of good old olive oil and flavourful black pepper. Its a great snack and street food to be enjoyed while strolling through the farmer market or the narrow cobbled streets of beautiful Nice. We did notice a lot of tourists enjoying Italian and indian food while in Nice, but we highly recommend you make some space for Socca de Nice. Its surely worth a try.
Where to find the best Socca in Nice/ Socca restaurant recommendations?
- René Socca , Address: 2 Rue Miralheti, +33 4 93 92 0573
- Chez Theresa, 28 Rue Droite | Cours Saleya, +33 4 93 85 00 04
- Chez Pipo 13, Rue Bavastro,+33 4 93 55 88 82
- If you are planning to go to Chez Theresa, then make sure you arrive early to avoid the serpentine queue. We waited for close to an hour to grab a tiny piece of Socca in a parchment paper. Since it was the weekend and Chez Theresa is strategically located in the middle of the happening Cours Saleya market, we saw the delicacy vanish in no time. The lady who stood ahead of us in the line was sweet enough to signal the vendor to split the last portion of the serving into two so that we could also get to taste it. Though the snack is originally priced at 3 euros per portion, we had to shell out just a euro for the little piece we got !
- Socca is best had with chilled rosé.
Have you been to Nice? Its for sure one of the best places on the French Rivera! If you are ever headed there, make sure to check out the local food in France particularly Socca in Nice.
On another note, If you are planning a trip to Paris, then do check out our post on 3 days in Paris .