Chennai is home for me 🙂 I am a malayali born and brought up in Bangalore and i used to make frequent visits to Chennai ever since i was a child. I have always looked forward to visiting Chennai..Dont ask me why..because i can just go on and on..hehehehe 🙂 I love the people , the language tamil, the music, tanjore paintings , tamil food etc…. 🙂 The only thing i hate about chennai has to be the weather…sigh…it can get really really hot during the month of May! i never knew that one fine day i will end up marrying someone from Chennai… talk about destiny 🙂 So chennai is home now folks! But we are settled in Bangalore…we make occasional visits to Chennai and i have some places that i frequent..its more like a must do/ ritual for me…LOL !
If you are going to Chennai for the first time and want a few recommendations, then read on 🙂
- For the best Dosas and sambar in town, head to Saravana Bhavan
- For good fluffy idlis and variety chutneys , visit Murugan Idli Shop
- if you want to visit the beach, i would suggest you do the Besant Nagar Beach…its much cleaner than Marina beach. the latter is more popular but not well maintained.. Try food from Mash cafe in Bessy which gives you an excellent view of the sea. I love their honey glazed chicken. Yummers!
- Must visit Fruit Shop for fantastic fresh fruit juices and try their specialty drink Jughead . During summers, you can also try thier mint coolers…its very refreshing during the scorching summers in Chennai
- Visit Santhome Church…its such a beautiful cathedral
- if you wish to shop in malls, give Spencer Plaza a miss as it is really outdated and the oldest mall in India..the place has lost its charm and a lot of shops have closed down too …Head to Express Avenue, City Center or Phoenix Mall
- T Nagar – the shopping hub in Chennai..very crowded and you will find everything you need !
- Burma Bazaar – yet another famous place for street shopping.. very crowded and inexpensive
- For saree and salwar materials – Man Mandir,Pothys,Palam Silks, Sarangi and Sundari Silks
- If you love to buy silver jewellery, check out Cane and Bamboo
- Cotton street in Egmore is very famous for cotton fabrics