Keukenhof Gardens in the South of Amsterdam is nothing short of a paradise. Its the perfect place to be in if you want to be amidst a colorful splash of beautiful Tulip bulbs that are in full bloom. It is world renowned for being one of Largest and Most Beautiful flower gardens in the World and hands down we surely think it deserves the Title. The first time we saw these Tulip fields was in the“Song-Kumari from the Tamil movie Anniyan”. It was in this song that we saw Director Shankar create magic on screen. Shankar has a habit of creating an impressive and majestic celluloid experience for the audience and with this particular song he didn’t fail to impress.Like several others, we too believed that it was his camera tricks that made Keukenhof look that way in the song but we were terribly wrong. Shankar showed us the real and unfiltered beauty of Keukenhof Gardens ! Oh and before we move on, we also blogged about Kinderdijk Windmill Park which was yet another shoot location for the same song. Do check out if your interested 🙂 Now let us unravel the magical vista -Keukenhof Gardens. In this post we help you plan your trip to the famous Keukenhof Gardens and will share some essential travels tips too.
What is Keukenhof Gardens and where is it?
Keukenhof (read as Koo- Ken- Hoff) is one of the the best place to see colourful tulip fields in the Netherlands. Keukenhof is a gigantic park (32 hectares – 79 acres) that showcases the kaleidoscope of tulips (approximately 7 million bulbs) in bloom every spring. There is a total of 800 varieties of tulips in various hues. The flower garden/ park area is a great place to spend an entire day with nature. The Keukenhof Gardens are situated at Lisse which is pretty close from Amsterdam city, Holland.
When is the best time to visit Keukenhof?
The gardens are open for a very short duration (less than two months) between end-March to mid-May in Spring season when the blooming of the tulips take place.During this time, the park is open to the public on all days from 08:00 AM – 19:30 PM. However, please note that the The ticket office is open only from 08:00 AM – 18:00 PM. The best time to visit Keukenhof Gardens would be in the month of April when all the flowers are at its best. If you visit in March, you are too early to see the blooms and if you make a trip in May, the flowers are almost shrivelled up and dying. So somewhere mid April would be the ideal time to visit Keukenhof Tulip fields.
Keukenhof 2019 -Opening times
The park Keukenhof is open from 21 March 2019 – 19 May 2019 . The flower parade will take place on April 13th between 15:30 – 16:30 hours. The theme for the 2019 is Flower Power.via the flower fields near Lisse to the historic city of Haarlem. The route is in total more than 42 kilometers long. Around 15:30 the flower parade will pass Keukenhof along the road on the main car park side which will have been rechristened the Keukenhofboulevard. Its definitely worth watching.We witnessed the flower parade in March 2015 and we were totally impressed with the show. The Dutch get all creative and you will be stunned to see the vehicles decked up in thousands of flowers following the theme effortlessly.
How much does it cost to visit Keukenhof in 2019?
Keukenhof Gardens Ticket Prices
- Tickets are priced at €18 for adults and €8 for children aged between 4-17 years
- If you are in a group (20 members and more), the prices drop down to
€14.75 per person
What can you do in Keukenhof?
You can enjoy a stroll in the park and click pictures of the well maintained flowers. You are allowed to bring in food and have a mini picnic if you wish at a small place close to the windmill. There are numerous exhibitions in the five Pavilions of the park which is worth seeing. Every year the theme changes and so does the decorations in the Pavilions. We visited Keukenhof Gardens in 2015 and 2016 and both the years the flower arrangements were very different and beautiful. So enjoy your time at the garden but remember not to pluck flowers or walk on the grass area where it says prohibited! Also keep in mind that dogs are allowed into the park only if they are on a leash. There are a few restaurants where you can buy good food at reasonable prices just in case you wish to grab a bite. And for shopping, there are several stalls where you can buy cute souvenirs or even fresh tulip bulbs to take back with you.
How to get to Keukenhof?
- Buy a combi ticket online from Keukenhof’s Official Website The ticket is €21 for adults, €18 for seniors, and €11 for children 4-11 years old.This ticket will give you transport by bus (and return) from Schipol Airport in Amsterdam, every 15 minutes on the 858 service which runs specifically during the park opening times. From Schiphol Airport’s Bus stop, located just outside the Airport ,main plaza to Keukenhof takes about 30 mins.The bus will drop you off at the park gates. The combi ticket also includes the park entrance.
- Or you can rent a car for the day and drive from Amsterdam to the gardens. Parking at the park is € 6 per day.
Since Keukenhof is all about Tulips, we thought why not share a few facts about them…
- 62 % of all flower bulbs in the world are grown in the Netherlands
- Tulip comes from the Persian word ” Tulipan” which means Turban .This refers to the shape of the tulip bulb
- The flamed or striped tulips were favoured as the most beautiful.
- A free map is available from the ticket office, information desk or entrance. Great way to start your tour and to ensure you dont get lost.
- Avoid visiting the gardens on weekends and public holidays. The place would be flooded with tourists and you may not enjoy your visit that much.
- Reach early latest by 8.30 AM and that way you avoid the crowds and get good pictures with fewer or no people in your frame.
- Free Wi-Fi is available around the pavilions at the park. You can connect and share your pictures on the go.
- Hire bikes from Keukenhof and visit the Tulip farms around Lisse.
- If you are a fan of the beautiful Indian actress Aishwarya Rai, then go and look for a tulip that is named after her 🙂
Hope you enjoyed our post. We would like to close this post by giving a few recommendations where you can spot the Tulips if Netherlands is not an option for you…
- Floriade night festival in Canberra, Australia
- Holland in Michigan, USA
- If you are wondering where to see Tulip Gardens in India, then visit Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip Garden -which is Asia’s largest Tulip Garden. It is located in Srinagar.
We hope you enjoyed this post on Keukenhof Gardens & Tulip Fields in The Netherlands.
We recommend you club your trip to Kuekenhof with Kinderdijk Windmill Park